|Board Member||Term Expiration|
|Ms. Reba Allison||2020|
|Mr. Eddie Cannon||2021|
|Mr. Joel Hale||2020|
|Mrs. Wilma Jamerson||2021|
|Mr. James Johnson||2020|
|Dr. Rutledge McClaran||2019|
|Mr. Bobby Moore||2019|
|Mrs. Maylene Neal||2019|
|Dr. Marty Warren||2021|
|Mr. William Byron Norton||President / CEO|
|Mr. John Griffin||Senior VP / Lending and Account Resolutions|
|Mr. Scot Haines||Senior VP / Operations Manager|
|Ms. Deborah Pearce||Senior VP / Accounting Department Manager|
|Mrs. Kerri Dalme||VP / Branch Operations Western Division|
|Mrs. Kelly Evans||VP / Branch Operations Eastern Division|
|Mr. Greg Jeffery||VP / Branch Manager - Kilgore Office|
|Mr. Flip Kraus||VP / Real Estate Manager|
|Mr. Doug Martin||VP / Indirect Lending Department Manager|
|Mrs. Kristal Martin||VP / Product Development and Electronic Services|
|Mr. Kevin Wasson||VP / Information and Technology|
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to the 65th annual meeting of East Texas Professional Credit Union. I am proud of and humbled by the level of trust you have placed in me and my fellow board members.
In fact, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow board members for their dedicated service, commitment and passion, because they have contributed greatly to the success of East Texas Professional Credit Union.
As you see in the Annual Report, East Texas Professional Credit Union performed well in year 2017.
- You, the members and owners of this institution, have borrowed more than $148.2 million in consumer loans, adding more than 10,825 new loans.
- Whether you were a new home buyer or a property pro, I’m thrilled that you turned to your credit union for your mortgage needs. In 2017, East Texas Professional Credit Union wrote nearly 364 home loans, worth more than $39.4 million.
- Favorable interest rates and a strengthening economy motivated many of you to buy vehicles. In 2017, East Texas Professional Credit Union wrote 5,848 vehicle loans worth more than $122.8 million.
- The median delinquency ratio in East Texas Professional Credit Union is now .59 percent, which tells me you’re staying on top of your debt obligations, and that’s a sure sign of a recovering economy.
Your ongoing participation in East Texas Professional Credit Union means that we will remain in a strong financial position to continue meeting your financial needs.
I think you all recognize that as not-for-profit cooperatives, credit unions are different than banks. Though we have to make a profit to keep the doors open, we don’t have shareholders waiting with their hands out - there are no shareholders. When we can, we distribute those profits back to you.
By exercising sound business and service strategies, we can help you navigate your life-cycle challenges, weather these uncertain economic periods, and recognize the true benefits of your membership. We hope and plan for a bright future for us all, and in reaching for the stars, we want to look at new and better ways of defining and redefining our success as we grow and learn and change.
- We want to offer more and better resources that allow us to focus more attention on our members using the most efficient and safe use of technology available;
- We want to grow our community impact through basic interest payouts, financial capability programs, payment deferral during community emergencies, and working with members facing the challenges of the life phase they might be in;
- We want to target particular segments of our community where we can make the greatest impact - for example, helping with financial literacy and account management for our members who are most vulnerable, such as pre-high school children, young adults, retirees and our elderly;
- As members focus more on use and less on ownership, we will consider how our credit union can responsibly finance life activities, such as education, small businesses and transportation; and
- We want to be a knowledge hub that places the credit union at the center of our members’ financial lives by allowing them to trade peer advice and insights about budgeting, buying, retiring and saving.
My friends, with the continued success of East Texas Professional Credit Union, we can offer a wealth of savings tools and other financial products and services that enhance your life, improve our delivery channels, and expand our outreach in the community and beyond.
In closing, let me express my confidence in the leadership of Byron Norton, the guidance of our esteemed Board of Directors, the commitment of a dedicated staff, and the support and loyalty of our more than 68,000 members. And let me also assure you that East Texas Professional Credit Union is well positioned to face any challenge and seize any opportunity that presents itself in 2018.
Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and all the best for the coming year!
Good afternoon and welcome. On behalf of the management and staff of East Texas Professional Credit Union, I want to say what a pleasure it is to be here with all of you. Because of your trust and involvement, your credit union is able to thrive and provide so many important benefits, not only to our members, but to our community.
As a financial cooperative, our success is your success. When you participate in the credit union, you are contributing to its growth. And because of our cooperative structure, we are able to return our profits back to you, the owners and members, by offering competitive rates, new products, enhanced services, and additional points of service.
As a locally owned and governed financial institution, East Texas Professional Credit Union has a strong connection to the community, and we are well positioned to support East Texas’ growing demand for a financial institution that cares about its community’s financial future.
Now, it is my privilege to provide a state of our credit union address at this 2018 annual meeting.
As our membership grows, so do our assets, which indicates that you are taking full advantage of the products and services we have to offer. Our assets as of December 31, 2017 were $589,462,931 and membership at East Texas Professional Credit Union at year-end was 68,039.
I am pleased that as loan demand has grown 9.8 percent in 2017, delinquencies remained low at .59 percent. This tells me that you value the competitive rates we’re able to offer and that you have a strong commitment to honoring your financial obligations with your credit union.
Just as you are committed to East Texas Professional Credit Union, we are committed to you, and the following are but a few highlights from 2017 that demonstrate this:
- Continued enhancement of the infrastructure of our data processing center to support growth
- Researched and initiated a new Electronic Cash Management system that allows members to make loan payments from other financial institutions via phone, internet banking or the mobile app
- Enhanced our Mobile Banking platform adding many leading edge features including mobile lending and the ability to place a stop payment on a check
I’m delighted to point out that East Texas Professional Credit Union is a well-capitalized financial institution, with a strong capital ratio of 19.64 percent. To put that in perspective, seven percent is the industry standard.
Our 2017 results illustrate that East Texas Professional Credit Union is a strong, sustainable and efficient financial institution. Indeed, we are confident in our ability to meet all of your financial services’ needs. But we are far more than an institution that offers financial products and services.
Here are but a few differentiators that make East Texas Professional Credit Union special.
We have a real presence in this community. In 2017, we:
- Awarded 17 educational scholarships totaling $21,000
- Delivered more than 30,000 academic planner calendars to more than 100 area schools and daycares
- Hosted two shred days for members to bring in documents containing sensitive information for safe disposal - and at no charge
- Contributed to more than 100 philanthropic organizations and community affairs
- Participated in and/or supported more than 50 area events
- Provided Christmas gifts for 29 East Texas children in need
- Hosted a flu shot clinic as a service to our members
- Conducted 27 “Project F.I.T.” Financial Independence Training courses (in branch and partnerships with local high schools)
- We have a team of talented professionals who report to work every single day with one objective: to help you meet your financial goals. Our accomplishments would not have been possible without the heartfelt commitment and unified effort of our dedicated credit union staff, volunteers, board of directors, and committees. Their passion is truly inspiring, and I am continuously moved by their steadfast desire to serve the credit union movement. I thank them for their continuous commitment and I thank you, our members, for having the confidence in these individuals who help drive the success of your credit union.
- We also have a highly capable volunteer board of directors who share their expertise and knowledge to guide this organization toward continued success. In 2017, our board of directors completed over 330 training hours, and I think that illustrates their strong desire to ensure they are a highly skilled and educated governing body.
- And, we have a unique business model that empowers every single member to have a voice: One member, one vote.
As we grow, we will keep our focus on doing what’s right. Locally, we will continue to provide better services and more convenience for our members. We will seek to help more people in our community get on solid ground through financial education and our charitable activities. Nationally and on the state level, we will remain vigilant in making sure our elected officials know that a tax on credit unions is a tax on all of our members; and we must be sure they understand the credit union difference.
Through it all, we will continue to focus on people first. It’s what makes your credit union different, and what makes us strong.
As we embark on the year ahead, my commitment to you today is that East Texas Professional Credit Union will continue to:
- Grow responsibly, while listening and responding to your needs;
- Explore innovative product/service solutions to enhance your financial life; and
- Develop our staff and board so they can confidently serve you.
Many thanks for being an integral part of our credit union family. On behalf of the entire staff, we look forward to a happy and successful 2018 for us all.