Card Alert Notification
December 19, 2013
Recently we were made aware of a data breach involving the payment system at a national retailer. MasterCard has not confirmed the identity of the merchant in question, but has provided us with a list of cardholders who used their cards at one of the merchant’s locations. We at East Texas Professional Credit Union are taking necessary steps to protect the financial assets of our members. Affected cardholders are being notified, new cards are being issued, and no immediate action is required by members.
July 22, 2013
We at East Texas Professional Credit Union are excited to introduce a new layer of debit card security to our fraud monitoring process, Card Alert Notification. This new text message service has been widely requested and, as fraud concerns continue to grow, will shorten the time it takes to identify fraud and reduce losses.
What we monitor
Your card transactions are monitored for purchases outside your normal purchasing patterns, unusual timeframes and geographical locations, or purchase patterns that are consistent with previously identified fraud trends.
How we contact you
Getting in touch with you quickly is critical to stopping any potential card fraud. With our Card Alert Notification service, you will receive a text message asking you to confirm if you authorized a suspicious transaction.
Receiving a text message
- The text message will arrive with our name, dollar amount of the transaction and merchant name.
- You will be asked to reply with “Yes” if you authorized the transaction. You will receive a confirming text message and can continue to use your card with confidence.
- A “No” reply means you have not authorized the transaction. You will receive a confirming text message and you will be contacted immediately by a fraud specialist to protect your account. Please answer this important call.
- Do not reply to the text message with any personal or confidential card information.
- If you would like to opt out of receiving these important messages by text, you may reply with STOP to indicate this preference.
Help us protect you
- Keep us up to date with your current mobile and home phone numbers and contact information.
- Traveling in the U.S. or to a foreign country for an extended period of time? Contact us prior to your departure and we’ll make our monitoring more flexible during your travel or vacation time.
East Texas Professional Credit Union is committed to protecting your financial assets and maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information. We are confident that this new security feature will help guard against fraud, and add value to your membership.
* Text messages to your mobile device are free, but all other fees on calls and texts are subject to the terms of your voice/data plan with your mobile carrier.