East Texas Professional Credit Union Presidential Scholarship Guidelines
Application does not save. Please complete and submit in one session.
Since our inception in 1953, the staff of East Texas Professional Credit Union has worked to provide quality service and opportunity to the citizens of East Texas. To assist individuals wishing to further their education, East Texas Professional Credit Union began a scholarship program in 2001. The East Texas Professional Credit Union Presidential Scholarship pays tribute to the Credit Union’s former presidents, A.R. McLauchlin and Tommy Kirkindoll. A.R. McLauchlin was the founding president of East Texas Professional Credit Union and served in that capacity for 25 years. He was succeeded by Tommy Kirkindoll in 1978, who served as president for 26 years. The East Texas Professional Credit Union Scholarship Program is now entering its 24th year of awarding deserving graduates financial assistance in pursuing their college goals. This opportunity could help make a deserving student’s college dreams come true.
To be considered for one of the Presidential Scholarships, an applicant must adhere to the following guidelines
- The applicant must be a graduating senior attending high school within East Texas Professional Credit Union’s field of membership. Scholarship eligibility extends to students attending school in Anderson, Angelina, Camp, Cass, northern Cherokee, Franklin, Gregg, Harrison, Henderson, Marion, Morris, Nacogdoches, Panola, Rusk, Smith, Titus and Upshur counties. THE APPLICANT MUST QUALIFY FOR MEMBERSHIP THROUGH ONE OF THE COUNTIES THAT WE SERVE.
- The applicant, or an immediate family member, must have an East Texas Professional Credit Union account in good standing. (An immediate family member is defined as a parent, grandparent, brother or sister.) To join the Credit Union, a minimum $5 deposit into a savings account is required and a membership eligibility requirement must be met. East Texas Professional Credit Union has five locations in Longview, as well as offices in Carthage, Daingerfield, Diana, Gilmer, Hallsville, Henderson, Hughes Springs, Jefferson, Kilgore, Lufkin, Marshall, Mt. Pleasant, Nacogdoches and Tyler. Applicants may contact ETPCU at 903-323-0230 or 800-256-5009 or visit any office location for more membership information.
- Only one scholarship will be given per family per year.
- East Texas Professional Credit Union employee family members are eligible for a scholarship.
- The applicant is eligible for only one scholarship; either the McLauchlin Scholarship (for those pursuing a degree in the field of education) or the Presidential Scholarship (all other majors). The applicant should specify the scholarship for which they are applying by submitting the appropriate application.
- The applicant must submit a completed scholarship application, accompanied with the following attachments, to receive consideration for the scholarship:
- Proof of income for parent(s)/guardian(s). A Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement or a copy of the previous year’s income tax return must be provided for each parent/guardian listed on the application. (Please submit only pages 1-2 of the 1040/1040 EZ packet.)
- An official high school transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor is required.
- Incomplete applications will not receive scholarship consideration.
- The scholarship application and all attachments must be submitted by February 15, 2024.
The East Texas Professional Credit Union Presidential Scholarship is a $1,500 honor.
A Scholarship Committee made up of ETPCU employees and/or delegates will be responsible for reviewing scholarship applications. The selection of scholarship recipients will be based on the students’ financial need, content and completeness of replies, as well as school and community involvement. The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final. Scholarship recipients will be announced on or before April 15th at www.etpcu.org under the “Connect” tab displayed on our home page.
Scholarship recipients are asked to submit a photograph which will be used to publicize the East Texas Professional Credit Union scholarship program. Photographs should not accompany the application. Photographs will be accepted following notification of scholarship recipients.
Checks will be issued to the scholarship recipient’s school of choice. A receipt of enrollment in a minimum of 12 semester hours must be provided in order to receive the first installment of scholarship funds. (Quarterly system: A receipt of enrollment in a minimum of 8 quarterly hours must be provided in order to receive the first installment of scholarship funds. Dual credit hours cannot be calculated into college semester or quarterly hour totals. First installment scholarship funds must be claimed by November 1, 2024.
Proof of a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the first semester and registration of at least 12 semester hours for the second semester must be provided in order to receive the second installment of scholarship funds. (Quarterly system: Proof of a minimum GPA of 2.5 each for the first and second sessions, completion of at least 8 quarterly hours each for the first and second sessions and registration of at least 8 quarterly hours for the third session must be provided in order to receive the second installment of scholarship funds.) Dual credit course grades cannot be calculated into college GPA totals. Second installment scholarship funds must be claimed by May 1, 2025.